Sunday, June 14, 2009

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular


I think we all know who MGMT is by now, due to their huge success from their three hit songs, "Time To Pretend", "Electric Feel", and "Kids". It was about time I got around to hearing their full album.

The album is decent, I would rank it as slightly above average. The key to enjoying the album is not to go into it expecting the same caliber of tracks as the three previously mentioned. In fact, I recommend skipping those three when listening to the rest for the first time. Needless to say, the first time I played the album, I was shocked to hear the picking of an acoustic guitar upon the beginning of the second track.

I can't help but feel like MGMT has a completely different sound on these songs than the three that made them so popular. The stripped down sound of "Weekend Wars" and "Pieces Of What" just isn't this band playing to their strengths. From there on, "The Youth" is pretty good actually, "Of Moons, Birds, & Monsters" and "The Handshake" are both about half good and half forgettable, and the rest of the album is just plain forgettable.

I was a bit disappointed that this album didn't have any hidden gems, like albums tend to have. It was better than I had initially expected though. Checking this out wouldn't be a complete waste of time, but by the time the second half rolls around, you'll be wanting to go back and give "Kids" another listen instead.

Favorite Tracks: Kids, Time To Pretend, Electric Feel

My Rating: 6/10

-M


Tracklisting:
1. Time To Pretend
2. Weekend Wars
3. The Youth
4. Electric Feel
5. Kids
6. 4th Dimensional Transition
7. Pieces Of What
8. Of Moons, Birds, & Monsters
9. The Handshake
10. Future Reflections

link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6lidnyv4mmz

No comments: