Sunday, June 14, 2009

maudlin of the Well - Part The Second



Ok, so maudlin of the Well is a band I don't really know anything about. I listened to their new album because it is free and because it has been getting some critical acclaim. From what I can gather from their website, this album was funded entirely by fan donations, which is why it is free. Pretty cool if you ask me. Anyone wanna help fund me? Ha.

Anyways, I came into this album not exactly sure of what to expect, but a bit scared of the progressive metal nametag. Upon playing the album, the first minute will blow you away, and at :52 seconds, you will turn your head to your iPod and say 'whoa'. Unfortunately, it quickly slows down a bit to an initially more disappointing part, before the second half of the song turns super cool again.

The first three tracks are incredibly beautiful and interesting, and with the exception of a cheesy and degrading guitar solo in the middle of track 2, there are no real flaws. This gave me high hopes for the album, but unfortunately the last two tracks are something completely different and disappointing. They are clearly more metal influenced, so I suppose if you are a fan you may enjoy them regardless. However, I find that they take away from what was looking to be one of the more beautiful albums I have heard of late. The album is still worth checking out though, if only for the first three tracks.

Favorite Tracks: An Except From 6,000,000,000,000 Miles..., Keep Light Near You..., Rose Quartz Turning To Glass

My Rating: 6/10

-M


Tracklisting:
1. An Excerpt From 6,000,000,000,000 Miles Before the First, or, The Revisitation of the Blue Ghost
2. Another Excerpt: Keep Light Near You, Even When Dying
3. Rose Quartz Turning To Glass
4. Clover Garland Island
5. Laboratories of the Invisible World (Rollerskating the Cosmic Palmistric Postborder)

Links:
http://www.maudlinofthewell.net/
http://www.mediafire.com/?ziimmmlz3lu

No comments: