Friday, June 26, 2009

P.O.S. - Never Better


I don't claim to be an expert in hip hop or any such thing, but I find myself listening to the occasional rapper. In this case, we have P.O.S. To me, it seems like it would be hard to keep a hip hop album sounding fresh all the way through and not blend together, more so than pop or rock albums at least. P.O.S. does a good job of mixing things up throughout this album.

The first six tracks of this album are solid, and so I was immediately drawn in by the strength of these tracks. Unfortunately, the rest of the album alternates between lackluster songs and decent ones. Of note is the fact that P.O.S. seems to have some pretty good lyrics. While I didn't go look any up, I did catch references to The Big Lebowski, AC Slater, and Mitch Hedburg. Hearing little references like this definitely made the album more fun to listen to.

Track 2, "Drumroll", gets the energy riding high. "Goodbye" has possibly the catchiest chorus on the album and is a great all around track. The true highlight of the album though is the title track, "Never Better". It starts out inconspicuously , but the beauty of this track is the guest vocals by The Velvet Teen's singer, Judah Nagler. Now I will admit that I am probably biased, Judah being my favorite singer and all, but this track truly shows a sample of his amazing vocal capabilities.

All in all, it wouldn't hurt to give this album a try, even if you don't know much about hip hop. I certainly don't, but I was still able to find plenty of enjoyable tracks.

Favorite Tracks: Never Better, Goodbye, Savion Glover

My Rating: 6/10

-M



Tracklisting:
1. Let It Rattle
2. Drumroll (We're All Thirsty)
3. Savion Glover
4. Purexed
5. Graves (We Wrote The Book)
6. Goodbye
7. Get Smokes
8. Been Afraid
9. Low Light Low Life
10. The Basics (Alright)
11. Out Of Category
12. Optimist (We Are Not For Them)
13. Terrorish
14. Never Better
15. The Brave And The Snake/Handmade/Handgun

link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mwn33wzma3w

2 comments:

sunil said...

i'll check this one out..haven't really been that many hip hop albums out this year (indie ones at least)..but there is a new WHY? album coming out later this year, didn't know if you heard about that or not

liljohnofindiemusic said...

I think this album might be your thing so yeah, check it.

and I had heard rumors of Why? in 2009, but is it confirmed? Needless to say I'm stoked for it.