Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mimas - The Worries


Mimas is truly a unique act. The self-proclaimed "Death-Indie" band released their debut album, The Worries, in America just earlier this year. I wouldn't say death-indie is a very appropriate genre for the band, however. The band is a typical indie-rock band with an overarching post-rock element. I think. Truly, this band sounds like none I have heard before, which is part of what I love about them.

What I find intriguing about this band is that while the instrumentation is certainly interesting, the lyrics themselves are bizarre. One song, for instance, talks about deodorant and smelly armpits, on more than one occasion. While listening to these lyrics, they slowly took hold of me and I became very mesmerized by them.

"Mac, get your gear on, let's visit Norway.
They shot a dog and then they killed themselves.
We found a monster and we brought it back
It imitates us and no one trusts anyone."

I realized that what I love so much about this album is that it speaks to me. It tells of the worries in our lives, both the little things and the big things. Everything from the need for prescription deodorant and making child support payments, all the way up to thoughts of suicide. Looking at this spectrum of worries, makes me wonder: what are all the things that cause me to worry? and perhaps most importantly, why do I worry about them at all?

Favorite tracks: Treehouse, Mac Get Your Gear, Dads

My Rating: 8/10

-M


Tracklisting:
1. Treehouse
2. Mac, Get Your Gear
3. Dads
4. Fangs
5. Why In The World Not?
6. Dr. Phil's Retirement
7. Keep Quiet
8. Cats On Fire
9. Beneath The Glad Sunbeam

link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5hxdmygxzyz

1 comment:

Christian J. Bendek said...

Dont stop updating your blog.

thanks for he great music

regards from Aruba Island.

Chris